Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Hotel Congress in Tucson, & Other Cool Spots




We stayed in the Hotel Congress in Tucson. We would have like to have played in the Hotel Congress in Tucson. We almost did, opening up for Ben Kweller, but it never materialized. It's still cool to stay there, though. The Hotel has a lot of mystique! The next morning we explored the hotel, including the venue area that has an interesting steel border of black with the number "13" welded into it, and the Latin phrase, "Musica delenit bestiam feram". Having studied my fair share of Latin, later at the epic, Epic Cafe, I was unable to refrain from getting out my old trusty Latin dictionary to translate (yes I carry it with me on tour): "Music caresses/soothes the untamed beast". "Music" may also be translated as any of "the arts". And while hanging out at the Epic Cafe in Tucson, I made friends with this fellow, Zachary, who wanted to show me a mural on the side of the cafe with the exact same sentiment. The elephant is the beast, and the the boy reading the book, represents the art. Zachary, a very cool guy, had many interesting things to say about the current state of affairs, especially in the way of ethics in the agricultural industry. He also is a poet, and a jeweler, and had some great recommendations on seeing some 15th century Spanish religious art at the University.

No comments:

Post a Comment